As a renter, I cannot drill holes in the wall to hold this heavy Mexican Mirror.
So I built a leaning “A-Frame” stand from square steel tube, and it’s almost invisible.
The trick in designing a stand like this is to make sure the “toes” that touch the floor are quite some distance from the wall – this forces the top to lean back into the wall and it won’t fall over.
To hold it together, I used random bolts that I had lying around, some off-the-shelf brackets and angles, and a couple of old feet from a previous IKEA project. Luckily, the landlord had left a pot of wall paint for touch ups and repairs – so I used that to match the wall colour exactly.
This turned out to be a quick one-day project, and I am really happy with the result.
I always liked the look and feel of this little oil can.
My Dad inherited it from his Dad, and now I found it in a box of rusty old stuff.
My first thought was to bring it all back to polished bare metal, but that just didn’t look right, so I painted it with a blue hammered finish.
This was a simple project, but I took my time and enjoyed the process of brushing away the old paint, sanding, reshaping with a mallet, replacing the seal (which was probably originally made of leather) and finally painting it.
I love the way it turned out.
Except – it has to be the absolutely worst oil can I have ever used! It dribbles, spurts, and leaks no matter what I do. Maybe it’s designed for much thicker oil (I filled it with cutting fluid which might be too thin).
In any event – this is a great way to spend an afternoon in the workshop.
They just seem to be sharp and unpredictable. I imagine they’d run amok and slice me up.
Apparently not. I bought this cheap 850W plunge router and put it together without incident.
I had a specific project in mind – which required making a lot of grooves in a cupboard frame, to fit plywood panels – so I finally relented and decided that I needed a router after all – despite all the dangers, imaginary or real.
I had to do a bit of experimenting with setting up jigs and clamps to position the grooves in a predictable and consistent placement, but once that was sorted, this new tool just worked exactly as advertised.
I did break one router bit very early on – this was because I had the speed too low and then had to push sideways too hard on the bit, to make any progress. Once I turned up the speed, the new bit worked without incident.